Monday, November 23, 2015
Happy Birthday Layla!
My girl turns three today! And I am so grateful for my children, those little Buddhas that teach me so much about myself and my shortcomings--but also about my capacity for change. They are constantly challenging me to be my better self. Sometimes I fail, but sometimes I do rise to the occasion, and I am grateful for that, too. Parenting has been a mind-blowing journey so far, and we're only six years in. I like birthdays because they present an opportunity to give back to my children, not only with gifts but with attention and intention. We gave Layla a ukelele that Mazin picked out. It is blue and has her name on it, and she loves it. Last night after everyone left her party and she woke up from a refreshing nap, we sat down together and played her favorite songs. She got daddy's pick and sat on my lap strumming to the beat with her right hand while I formed the chords on the same ukelele with my left. Mazin accompanied us on the bongos that Layla got as another gift, and daddy played the guitar. Mazin called it "music night." It was our first family jam!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment