Monday, April 16, 2012
Little Philosopher
This morning over oatmeal Mazin asked, "Mama, do trees talk?" His question kind of caught me off guard. I thought for a minute and then told him that yes they do talk, but that most of us don't understand their language. He gave me a quizzical look but left it at that. That was his first "deep thoughts" question, and I wanted to record it for posterity. A little philosopher at only 2.5 years old. Or maybe it wasn't so much philosophical as practical. The question came up after I explained why I had moved the plant from upstairs into the downstairs window. I told him it needed more light--that plants like light. Maybe that got him thinking about whether plants have volition, and if they have volition, then maybe they can express their desires. I don't know, I'm just trying to get inside his little brain. It must be so fascinating in there. I'm looking forward to his questions developing beyond the ubiquitous "why?" and into more specific territory. I'm looking forward to revisiting that attitude of possibility and curiosity that I feel has ebbed somewhat in my "adult" years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment