Mazin is a real country mouse. He sits out there sugaring with us until the bitter end. Well, at least until his bedtime. We bundle him up, wear him, and keep him near the fire, and he's content. He loves to watch the steam coming off of the boiling sap. And he loves to suck syrup off of my finger. He prefers grade B to Fancy, like any good Vermonter. He even likes it when I wear him on my back collecting sap. I thought lugging five-gallon buckets was hard before--now add 20 pounds of baby to the load! Yes, I am a true pioneer woman, I like to think to myself as I'm trudging through the field in my snowshoes. But I know how easy I have it. I'm doing this for recreation, not for survival. And I'm bringing Mazin along because I think it will be fun and interesting for him. And it is. He loves to ride along as I do things. He especially likes to hang out in the sling on my hip while I cook. It must be so amazing for him to watch someone with complete control over her appendages. One day, little man, you'll be collecting sap right alongside me. Enjoy this while you can! I will, too.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Sugaring
Mazin is a real country mouse. He sits out there sugaring with us until the bitter end. Well, at least until his bedtime. We bundle him up, wear him, and keep him near the fire, and he's content. He loves to watch the steam coming off of the boiling sap. And he loves to suck syrup off of my finger. He prefers grade B to Fancy, like any good Vermonter. He even likes it when I wear him on my back collecting sap. I thought lugging five-gallon buckets was hard before--now add 20 pounds of baby to the load! Yes, I am a true pioneer woman, I like to think to myself as I'm trudging through the field in my snowshoes. But I know how easy I have it. I'm doing this for recreation, not for survival. And I'm bringing Mazin along because I think it will be fun and interesting for him. And it is. He loves to ride along as I do things. He especially likes to hang out in the sling on my hip while I cook. It must be so amazing for him to watch someone with complete control over her appendages. One day, little man, you'll be collecting sap right alongside me. Enjoy this while you can! I will, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment