Sunday, March 21, 2010

First Tooth

It was only slightly annoying that grandma noticed before I did. She felt that hard little ridge on his lower gums. His first tooth. He didn't make a big fuss over it. Not like we did. I can't believe he is old and big enough to have a real tooth. It just doesn't stop, this growing and developing. I feel like I don't have nearly enough time to savor the sweetness. I do savor it, though, and try not to think about how many cells are dividing, multiplying in his little body even as I hold him. "They grow up so fast" is such a cliche, but it is really unbelievable. In so many ways the birth feels like just a moment ago. In the span of my life, it was. He learns so much every day... Lately he is fascinated with his own fingers. He likes to practice clenching and opening his fists. He really likes grabbing things--anything. It is so deeply satisfying for him to grasp something (and bring it to his mouth). He seems to experience such joy being alive and learning how to use his body. Frustration, too, at times. I try to help him, encourage him, comfort him when it's all too overwhelming. I do what I can, but I already feel a bit of sadness about the process. The more I help him to learn, the more independent he becomes. This little tooth is the first thing to come between him and The Boob (me). It's a big day.

1 comment:

lukas said...

I cannot believe how adorable he is becoming. I'm sad I don't get to see him more. I think you were the first to notice Lukas' first tooth. He was laying between us on the table at stone soup. German tradition says that the first to notice a baby's first tooth will aquire a new dress....don't ask me how men feel about this....me