Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Boo-beddy


Layla is now quite the conversationalist. She can really keep the dialogue going. Her first complete sentence, uttered a couple of months ago, was, "Mama, I found rocks!" I know--an irregular past tense verb, and the correct subject pronoun... Clearly my child is a genius. Since that first sentence, she has been a fount of language. A lot of the time it sounds like gibberish with one or two clear words sprinkled in. I wonder if in her brain she hears the words she means to say, but they just don't quite make it out of her mouth that way. She has her favorite words: blueberry ("boo-beddy"), popsicle, cheese, baby, money. Yes, money... she likes to play with coins. And she especially likes to fight with her brother over coins. Some kids fight over toys; my kids spar over spare change and driveway gravel, which they treat like rare gems. Next week our summer routine will change, with Mazin back in preschool three days per week. I wonder if it will be a challenging transition, or if we're all ready for something new...

No comments: