Friday, September 14, 2012

No, I'm not having twins

She was a twenty-something nanny at the library story hour. She looked at my belly and looked at me and said, point-blank, "Are you carrying twins?" I just smiled and said, "No." I didn't bother telling her my due date is over two months away. I thought she might die of shock. Or refuse to believe me. I think it's kind of funny that she wasn't afraid to ask or worried about offending me. And really, why should I be offended? My size should be a point of pride. After all, it's not my ass that's keeping me from seeing my toes--it's my baby! I just happen to do pregnancy BIG. Shouldn't that be admired? It's a sign of vitality. Still, though, I can't help getting exasperated at the inevitable reaction to my due date (usually some variation of "wow, really?") First of all, it's nobody's business what my due date is. If you think about it, the only real reason to ask the question is to make a judgement about a pregnant woman's progress and appearance. So it's kind of a nosy, rude question to begin with. Maybe I'll just start saying, "it's soon," and leave it at that. Meanwhile, I'm preoccupied with more important things, like figuring out how to prepare Mazin for the impending sea change. Yesterday I broached the topic of anatomy and how the baby will physically come out. He seemed mildly intrigued, but then he wanted some juice. Maybe John and I should stage a skit for him, or maybe I should pull up some youtube videos of animals giving birth. (I'm assuming animals don't make as many agonized-sounding noises as humans do!) I'm not sure if it makes sense for him to watch the actual birth. Would it frighten him? Maybe he should have the choice. But it's not like choosing between Cheerios and oatmeal... I don't know the right thing to do. Maybe if we explain really clearly what will happen, he doesn't need to witness it. He can just come and meet the baby right after he or she is born. I'm hoping the right answer will spontaneously manifest itself... We have over two months to go, after all!

No comments: