Monday, September 26, 2011

Two

Mazin's second birthday was yesterday. Da-da made an incredible chocolate cake, and we put the last of the fall raspberries on top. Mazin ate those first, of course. He was pretty skeptical about the birthday song--really mystified when everyone began singing and staring at him all at the same time. But when he saw the candles, he knew what he was supposed to do. We talked about it, and Elinor had her birthday the week before. He was less interested in the presents than his playmates. A yard full of kids to run around with was all he really wanted for his birthday. But he was spoiled with many thoughtful gifts, including a homemade picnic table (functional and beautiful German construction)! He had a wonderful, long nap just before the party, and was in great spirits throughout. I was happy, too, just watching him be happy. It's funny, these days I do more watching as he explores his world and his physical limits and social interaction. He used to require much more interaction on my part. Now I am often just his guardian as he moves ever further outward. This is not to say that he doesn't enjoy my company, but I feel less and less necessary. I guess I'm just needed in different ways. It is such a wondrous thing to watch your child grow and gain independence, confidence, and ability. Happy second birthday to our beautiful baby boy! He's still my baby...

No comments: