Wednesday, September 23, 2009

For Real?

I thought labor would be more straightforward. I thought the signs would be unequivocal. I didn't expect this on-again, off-again uncertainty. Had regular Braxton-Hicks "practice" contractions all evening Saturday, then nothing on Sunday. A trip to the pool after work Monday brought on some intense pelvic discomfort, along with more practice contractions. By morning, nothing again. But then a trip to the pool later that day started the process all over again, except this time they felt like real contractions. (They were painful.) Half an hour apart, though, pretty much all night and continuing this morning. As of 5:30 pm, they are coming a bit closer together and are now longer and more powerful. I'm still not convinced, though. At this rate, labor could last a week! Have to let go of the expectation that it will progress and just go with whatever happens. It's hard not to get attached, though. I'm realizing now what wonderful preparation for birth yoga has been. Above all, the practice exploring sensation--being curious rather than rejecting novel sensation in the body. The dance between listening to your body and using your mind to influence how you experience what is happening in your body. Every 20 minutes now, I get a new chance to cope with pain, to transcend discomfort. There is nothing I can do to stop it, so how do I deal with it when running away is not an option?

No comments: