Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Good Morning America!

When it comes to politics, I'm as cynical as they come. I've never thought my vote mattered, although I've always marched dutifully to the polls on election day. My attitude toward politicians is epitomized by the game I played with friends during Bush Jr's 2007 state of the union address: word bingo. (Indefinite and definite articles excluded, of course, as well as determiners and conjunctions. Had to be words of substance: terrorist, war, borders, immigrants.) Funny, our German friend won that night, having chosen the key words no one else thought we would hear: hydropower, hybrid, nuclear. What I'm saying is, I've always done an instinctive "close reading" (or close listening) whenever a politician speaks. Unpacked the literary critic's tool bag and gone to town--looking for subtext, reading against the grain, and taking nothing at face value. I feel like I was born this way. I have no memory of losing my innocence or naivity.

But this morning, when I listened to Barack Obama's acceptance speech, I just listened. The man actually brought me to tears. A politician has never done that to me before. I think I have a crush. I shouldn't minimize it, though, not now. What I mean to say is, I think I believe. For the first time in my life, I actually believe in the promise of America. Why do I believe? Because as Obama said, this is our election, our victory. The people have spoken. They want change, and they are willing to work for it. They are ready to get off their fat, corn-fed asses and shake the Fox News out of their brains.

This is a great nation. We can build a better world, as Obama said, "block by block, brick by brick."

"And to all those who have wondered if America's beacon still burns as bright: tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the strength of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals--democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Once more you put into words what so many of us feel.
Reading your entry gave me chills.
Let's go US, let's go America, let's go WORLD.

Anonymous said...

Very well said, Jenn. Bravo America!